Another interesting part to this assignment is where to start. Ashley and I are working together and immediately we both wanted to start in different places because in our minds the reading process started with different things. This generated excellent conversation between the two of us and really got us discussing what the first part of the process was, where the neurological process began, and the basic steps behind reading.
I realized how much I take for granted when I read. It take for granted that I already know what letters are, what they sound like, how they blend with other letters, how to make the appropriate shape with my mouth in order to say a letter and it's sound.
As French immersion teachers, Ashley and I had a good understanding as to where students begin when they have no background language in reading. We have both experienced beginning readers who come to us with absolutely no knowledge of the French language. This helped us to recap the step-by-step process of reading. Little did we know the neurological demands on students, and in addition the demand of doing it all in their second language.
So far Ashley and I have established what we think is the beginning of the reading process. I look forward to continuing this activity together tomorrow to further deepen our understanding of what is involved in order to read.
No comments:
Post a Comment