This article brings to ahead a question I've been struggling with for the past year. Why is access to technology determined by individual schools and not a matter that is managed by the school board or provincial government? My statement might not be exactly true however, this past year I worked firsthand in a school that had little to no technology available to it's 550 students. Upon taking a job at a new school only 15 minutes away from my previous school I was showered with technologies available to meet for the upcoming year (as mentioned in a previous blog post). Although I'm excited to have the technology for next year I can't help but think about the vast difference between the two schools only 15 minutes apart. Why does one school have an iPad for every single classroom along with an LCD projector and the other school has two iPads for the entire school? I realize money is coming from outside sources that tend to fund such purchases but to me this does not seem like an equal education. From all of the articles we have read thus far it is becoming more and more clear that the iPad is a universal tool to help students with and without disabilities. Therefore, why is their implementation not being regulated by a larger body that has the best interests of all students in mind?
I realize this wasn't the main point of the article however reading it reminded me of this existing issue in my school board.
To comment on the PD aspects of the introduction of iPads to the classroom, I would like to say that time and time again I have heard of cases where teachers have access to the technology but choose not to use it. I believe that this is a result of not wanting to take on the unfamiliar. The best part is that iPads are extremely user friendly and if teachers just give them a chance they will realize how they too can learn not only how to use the iPad but how it can also enhance their instruction and assist students who are struggling.
I agree. It is also hard to go from having the technology resources then changing schools and not having it. When you have technology and are used to having it at your fingertips, it becomes a part of your teaching style. Once you know what you had, it is hard when it is gone. You also know what the students are missing out on and it is truly a disservice.
ReplyDelete