Sousa comments that reading requires adding new words to ones mental lexicon and that there must be a connection between the systems to allow the brain to recognize spoken words and the system that recognizes written words. This illustrates the exact problem I see with students in early French immersion. Often times, students struggling to read in French do not have a mental lexicon of French vocabulary (probably because they do not speak the language outside of school in daily interactions) and struggle to make a connection between spoken and written words.
Therefore, when students join the French immersion program they are starting from scratch. This is where phonological awareness is very important. At the beginning of primary students begin a program of learning the basic sounds in French, and by grade 1 they are working on letter blends. The learning of these phonetics is a long process and requires much repetition. Having watched this learning process I can attest that for some students this is very difficult and after having read Sousa' article I can only conclude that neurologically these students are not making the necessary connections. Therefore, translating phonological awareness to letters in order to read could be an extreme challenge for some students.
I really enjoyed reading this article as it opened up my eyes to the neurological process necessary to read and the role this plays in learning for students in the French immersion program.
Question: Did anyone learn about the neurological process of reading in their bachelor of education degree?
I didn't, and it certainly appears to be something a teacher should be familiar with.
I am secondary trained and didn't talk about the process of reading at all. I can certainly see the important of having a general understanding of the processes involved in reading. As a teacher, if you have this understanding and come across a student who is struggling you would probably have more insight as to what may be going on. I certainly don't think that this would make you an expert but would help point you in the right direction and the logical next steps for help.
ReplyDeleteAh Ainslie... excellent. This should prepare you well for the Reading Task Analysis activity. It is all about brain processing:) Interesting perspective on the French language acquisition side as early learners.
ReplyDelete